Re: [dev] [st] revised mouse handling/reporting

From: Bert Münnich <ber.t_AT_gmx.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 22:17:10 +0200

On 08.06.11, Aurélien Aptel wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Bert Münnich <ber.t_AT_gmx.com> wrote:
> > rxvt-unicode is a lot more simpler. It behaves in the same way as my
> > patch: simply reversing the default fg and bg colors. All the others fg
> > and bg colors remain untouched.
>
> ok
>
> > A nice example to see the difference is alsamixer, which uses a black bg
> > on the whole screen. My patched st and rxvt-unicode display it as black
> > in normal and reverse mode, whereas xterm flips the background to white
>
> Your patch still doesn't make st behave like urxvt. See first
> screenshot attached.

I'm using a light background, so I didn't notice these differences--I
guess I have to test things a bit more in the future...

> The problem is that st has no way to tell the default bg from black
> (if your default bg is black). See second screenshot attached.

So there's no easy way of implementing the reverse video mode? I
couldn't find a decent text, which describes what exactly has to be done
in reverse video mode. The only thing I've found was the mention of
using light on dark by default and dark on light when in reverse video.

But apart from it not working in the same way as xterm and urxvt, I
think that my patch actually works kind of in the expected way.
I've used it from time to time in the past few days and couldn't find a
showstopper (again not really looking closely, only on light default
bg). So we can use it for the moment or forget about it altogether, I'm
fine with it. I don't know, what we could easily do to make it work in
another way.

--Bert