Re: [dev] Experimental editor

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:27:33 +0100

On 10 June 2011 12:19, Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl> wrote:
> Is vertical side by side layout stupid idea? Maybe not. We've gone from
> small screens to high resolution widescreen monitors. Moreover 2 or
> 3-screens setup isn't fancy anymore. Using so much vertical space
> effectively for text editing is a topic worth of consideration.

I'm unsure about this. It would involve complicating the idea of a
view, and I'm not sure text disappearing off the bottom and appearing
at the top a little to the right is very appealing. Still, by using
multiple views into the same buffer you could mimic this while
remaining more dynamic.

> Version control systems have evolved past few years. Still more
> fine-grained history could be useful sometimes. Recdit introduced deep
> diffs. Also this could be used as argument for avoiding syntax
> highlighting (too much colors at once).

Deep diffs look extremely ugly. There may be a way to make them nicer,
of course, but I can't really see what problem they solve, at least
wrt programming.

> I love the text editor Sam. There is one problem with it - it's stack
> based WM over stack based WM. How to resolve this issue? Just look at
> so called distraction-free editors like FocusWriter[2] - using full
> screen is a feature.

Like I said earlier, we won't bother with window management, we'll
just make windows. The beauty of this is you can do with them what you
will. Embedded in tabbed and maximised? Sure.

> Maybe those group of editors is silly, but at least they don't pretend
> to be anything else than text editors. I think that they were created
> as response to complex WYSIWYG editors and IDE's, which made religion
> out of interface.

I assure you that is unlikely to happen here. The current UI debate
is, "do we display a modeline at the bottom, or have absolutely
nothing but the text itself?"

On 10 June 2011 13:51, Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl> wrote:
> It has been discussed before[1]. With Sam regexps, own window manager
> can be handy.

Have you ever used Rio? No wonder they want separate windowing: Plan
9's window system is legendarily bad. We have dwm; we don't spend any
time at all managing windows. Coupled with the option of tabbed, we
really don't need to worry about this.

Thanks,
cls