Re: [dev] ideas on suckless file manager

From: Pieter Praet <pieter_AT_praet.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:48:45 +0200

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:53:32 +0200, Nicolai Waniek <rochus_AT_rochus.net> wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 07:09 PM, pancake wrote:
> > Its anti natural.
>
> It's not.
>
> Because I asked myself which is the best working environment regarding
> ones eyes some time ago, I looked around for some scientific research on
> the topic of black-background vs white background.
>
> There's not that much research to be cited (and to be honest, after
> reading the papers I removed them) but the overall conclusion is that
> most probants had a higher reading speed and slightly less reading
> errors with black text on white background. Nevertheless, the
> differences are very small.

Was there any mention of ambient lighting?

I suspect these tests weren't conducted at 4am in a typical coder's
cave, but rather in some fluorescent tube infested lab...

Just take your laptop outside for a while, that's all the research you need ;)

> [SNIP]
> The only clear direction stated was that when you have to work with a
> monitor and feel that your eyes are tiring, you should probably go to an
> optician as you might have a minor amblyopia (+.25, -.25 something like
> that) and proper way to work against it is to try eyeglasses.

"The only clear direction stated was that when you have to walk and feel
that your legs are aching, you should probably go to a radiologist as
you might have a broken leg and proper way to work against it is to try
immobilization."

OR

"You mean your eyes get tired after staring at a bright light for long
stretches of time? That's not normal, you have bad eyes dude..."

I'm aching to see that study :D

> regards

Peace

--