Re: [dev] 2surf, an experiment in tiled browsing

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:18:32 +0100

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Bjartur Thorlacius
<svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/11, Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why not just utilize dwm's tile mode and have each link open in a new
>> window?
> Presumably so you don't have to close a window after every article you
> examine, and resize the search results window. If you're going to
> resize the parent window every time before you use it, you could just
> as well hide it.
> A two-pane setup however mandates the common workflow of skimming the
> results, selecting an entry for examination, examining the linked
> article, and then either reading article or returning to the results
> page for continued skimming. Opening a new window for every activated
> link would allow for the alternative workflow of continuous skimming
> and then reading articles one after another.
> But resizing a pager's window will

Note that whatever the implementation mechanism, this kind of
streamlined workflow would also be very useful for reading hyperlinked
tutorial documents/reference manuals (as I'm doing now). Quite often
some section will refer to something that is explained somewhere else
in the manual (eg, file handling might have limits due to index sizes,
which might link to a discussion about integer type sizes in general).
I agree that it would be nice to get "you don't have to explicitly
close this window" behaviour, whether in the browser only or in
combination with the tiling WM.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision researcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com