Re: [dev] Experimental editor

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:26:07 +0200

[2011-06-12 18:55] Martin Kühl <martin.kuehl_AT_gmail.com>

> [...] command-quasimode [...]

> [...] mostly modeless.

[2011-06-12 22:38] Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>

> For substitution I'm tempted to just add a keybind to switch to and
> from the command pane, which appears at the bottom of the view
> (`Quake-like', as Paul says). That means we can do this just with a
> raw command, like vi does with `:'.
>
> So that's pretty much modeless, then.

What's the difference between a mode and a ``quasimode''?

Almost none!

It appears as if you just *want* modes. ;-)

I have followed this editor discussion, only reading.

Still I wonder why you try so much to stay modeless. Modes are a real
advantage because each mode offers a separate editor. Take vi: You can
edit in normal mode (= the actual vi mode) or in ex mode or in insert
mode (e.g. with ^W, ^U). You have the choice which editor (mode) you
use for some editing task. Ed has modes, too: Command and insert mode.

Surely, the problems are knowing in which mode you're in and switching
modes. But in return, each mode lets you re-use your keyboard keys
(the optimum) and for each mode you can design a new editor that's
best suited for the kind of editing this mode is intended to do.

Am I missing some big disadvantages of modes? I simply don't
understand your strong dislike.

meillo