Re: [dev] Experimental editor

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:51:36 +0100

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Nicolai Waniek <rochus_AT_rochus.net> wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 10:37 AM, markus schnalke wrote:
>> For the same reason we want Unix's manifold toolchain and for the same
>> reason we want several programming languages: Because ``One fits all''
>> is an illusion.
>

> Then try to figure out some basic tools that you can glue together to
> form a fully functional editor.
>
> 'Reinventing' an editor for every purpose and most probably copying some
> things on source level from one editor to the next is ridiculous.

Even more annoying is that the way that the lack of an OS-level editor
component means that there's a tendency for any application that wants
to provide a writing/editing capability to write their own, often
poor, editing code. I entirely agree with that "one interface fits all
users" is a problem, but I'd like a system where there was "one
interface for editing in all circumstances for this user".

cheers, dave tweed