Re: [dev] Experimental editor

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:29:00 +0100

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 03:16:00PM +0100, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> I'm writing a simple UI abstraction library, sort of like swk meets
> draw.c, in that it's completely platform-agnostic (so we can port it
> to other things than Xlib), but doesn't use widgets, you just draw
> things. This has the benefit of encapsulating all the complicated
> stuff you need to with Xlib into a single place, which means the
> editor proper can remain nice and clean. This, as well as the UTF-8
> library, might be useful in other projects as well. I'll try to keep
> them independent.

I'm very interested and curious to see what direction this
editor takes. Glad you're writing a generic UI abstraction;
tying things to X is a nasty thing to do. I haven't used it,
so don't know it's level of suckiness, but might cairo work?

However, I spend quite a lot of time in editors logged in to
remote servers. I don't want X on them. So, how should an
editor handle these things. Obviously SSH is great for the
terminal, and I love vim in it. But if we're thinking about
breaking from the terminal, how would remote editing work?
Some sort of ssh piping from / to the file on the server?
I haven't thought this through, but it's certainly a usecase
which would be nice to cover.

Nick