Re: [dev] [st] patch to send terminal to another program

From: Jean-Paul DEUX <tuxg_AT_rocketmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:29:48 +0100

On 08/25/2011 03:40 PM, Nick wrote:
> I think it would be really neat to be able to send all the
> text in a terminal to an external program, to act on it as
> it likes.
>
> I wrote a patch to do that, sending the contents of the
> screen to the stdin of the chosen program.
>
> One good use for this is writing a script to find any links,
> and offer to open them in a browser using dmenu. A
> particularly crude version of this could be:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> sed -e '/http/!d' -e 's/.*http/http/g' -e 's/ .*//g' | dmenu | xargs surf
>
> There are a couple of things which need fixing / could do
> with some discussion:
>
> 1) At present I commented out the SIGCHLD handler, as it was
> blocking the process from returning. I confess to not being
> overly familiar with the finer points of forking, so hope
> someone better than me can suggest a fix.
>
> 2) This could be a feature that people would find useful to
> trigger several different scripts. At present the key
> binding is hardcoded (meta-|); should we add something to
> be able to better define keybindings in config.h?
Wouldn't it be more suckless (or unix way?) to let a terminal
multiplexer (who said tmux?) do that ?
Espicially when it already do it.

I use this in my tmux.conf for opening links (I think it's from arch wiki):
bind o capture-pane \; save-buffer /tmp/tmux-buffer \; new-window -k -n
urls -t:0 'cat /tmp/tmux-buffer | urlview'

tuxg