Re: [dev] dwm patch: saveinfo

From: Benoit T <benoit.triquet_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:23:09 +0200

hello all,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:34:05AM +0200, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> On 27 August 2011 00:40, Ladd Hoffman <ladd_AT_ipdatatel.com> wrote:
> > This patch enables saving tags to disk when dwm exits,
> > and loading from disk on startup.

I don't like a wm writing to permanent storage, especially for this.
Over time it tends to lead to a mess of permanent (app settings) vs.
transient (window position and all) storage as found directly in some
apps or through gconfd or the similar crap they have in kde.

> > (especially useful when you need to recompile and restart dwm.)
>
> I think this patch seems quite useful and suggest you should add this
> patch to the patches section.
>
> See http://suckless.org/wiki/ for instructions about how to commit
> your changes to the wiki.
>
> Btw. there are other possibilities to restore the tag state than
> persistation to a file. Esp. if your X was restarted your approach
> could have weirdo side effects. A better way would be to store the tag
> info in a property for each window in unmanage(), which is cleared
> during manage() again. This would not lead to such X restart side
> effects.

This has been implemented already. i posted a 11-line patch doing that:
http://lists.suckless.org/dev/1106/8301.html

I record tags continuously rather than in unmanage() so that tags are
still there in case dwm should crash or when i restart dwm over itself
(to switch to a new build) with the respawn patch, also in the above
message.

BTW., i am not sure which branch i should follow right now. Someone
should close or merge the dangling head at rev 1565:ee4aa582320a at
http://hg.suckless.org/dwm

cheers,

--
Benoit Triquet <benoit.triquet at gmail.com>