[dev] Bug (feature) in Swing applications (Netbeans)

From: Catalin David <catalindavid2003_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:40:04 +0200

Dear all,

Thanks for the great work that you are doing with DWM. Been using it
and reading your rants for the past 2 years, but I have stumbled
across a bug today and I am not sure what is to be done.

First of all, thanks in advance for the bashing of Java and Swing and
how they are not working on Linux. I am using DWM 5.8.2 and the
problem comes with Netbeans and has been reported on other WM-s too
(sun-java6). Everything lives on top of a customized Ubuntu Natty
distribution. I have a dual-head setup, powered by an ATI HD5650 video
card.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. open Netbeans (or other Swing app) in one tag. Make sure the editor has focus
2. navigate to another tag (either via kb or click on the tag)
3. navigate back to Netbeans tag
4. editor does not have focus any more.

Related documentation -- apparently this is a known bug in other WMs
too and Oracle people just say that the besides GNOME and KDE, they do
not support anything else.

Issue in ion3 ML:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ion-general@lists.berlios.de/msg03073.html
Issue in XMonad: http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=177
Official Sun / Oracle bug report: http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6798064

Maybe some of you can make more sense about this than me, since I am
very inexperienced with X programming in C. Maybe it's a known issue,
but I was not able to find any reference in DWM on the interwebs.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Catalin

--
Catalin David