Re: [dev] [dmenu] No x, y, w options?

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 11:41:54 +0100

Hey,

On 2 December 2011 19:12, Bastien Dejean <nihilhill_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> (Of course I'm referring to the options of the same name already available in dzen2.)

It would be more sensible to have a single '-g' flag, for geometry,
which would take an X geometry string. I did write a patch a while
back which did this, but I don't know where I put it. I also didn't
find it at all useful, and some of the code was a bit ugly. What would
be the use case for this?

On 2 December 2011 20:12, Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Why choose window placement and dimensions at exec, instead of letting
> the window manager handle the issue? Just set _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE to
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG and spend engineering time ranting about
> WM_TRANSIENT_FOR, modality and modularity instead.

DIALOG wouldn't work, because dmenu would be given silly decorations
&c. I think if we were to go down this route we'd have to go with DOCK
and use _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL. Not sure that's a good idea, though.

> dmenu's override-redirect flag has always annoyed me, as well as
> grabbing the whole keyboard rendering it temporarily unusable for
> anything but typing text into dmenu or escaping out of it.

I would think that moving one's mouse unfocusing dmenu would be
annoying. But if someone were to write a patch I would try it out.

Thanks,
cls