Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: dtk <dtk_AT_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:35:11 +0100

On 11/15/2011 06:59 AM, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> On Thu 10 Nov 2011 09:29:53 PM PST, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>> wmii is cursed. Its code base has grown by factor 3 or 4 in terms
>> of SLOC, whereas its functionality has stalled.
>
> Thanks Anselm. I think I've held on to the past for too long, and
> avoided DWM mainly out of disinterest in C. [...] So save me a seat on the Suckless community van! ;)

outch :/ Actually, there are 2.5 features that make wmii such an awesome
WM for me:
 * dynamic tagging
 * manual layouts
   * specifically the stacked layout

I tag clients according to the topic they deal with (yess, I have
*several* Firefox windows open on different tags at any given point in
time -.-), which is why static tagging with a predefined number of tags
works really really bad for me :/

I only have 1024x768 pixels of screen space, and permanently displaying
unused windows in a slave area is *such* a horror. Being able to swiftly
create a new column (or maybe even two) with an independent layout when
needed and merge clients back into a single column is such a treat.

I could probably do without a whole lot of the features that bloat the
code base (been using rumai basically from the start of my wmii love
affair, don't need no fancy 9P), maybe even without a config file at all
(although rumai is *really* sweet and I sure wouldn't want to do that
kind of customization in C :/) but the thing is, DWM just doesn't have
the *features* for which I love wmii so much. And for as much as I would
love to prefer a clean code base over cosmetic features: Unusable WM is
unusable :(

Really sad wmii seems to be going nowhere :(
dtk