Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: Suraj N. Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:02:38 -0800

On Thu 22 Dec 2011 04:57:24 PM PST, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> In dwm you can view multiple tags at the same time, which pulls all
> clients with that tag into view. (Which is really amazing once you get
> used to it. Other window managers just make me feel really
> constrained.)

Now that you mention it, I rarely use this feature because it's too
coarse grained. For instance, I have tags pre-allocated for particular
tasks so viewing more than one of them simultaneously pulls in too many
unrelated clients into my view when I'm usually interested in a subset.

In contrast, WMII has fine-grained multi-tagging (a client can appear
on multiple views) so I would either (1) choose a client from dmenu to
pull into my current view or (2) go to the tag I want and multi-tag the
clients that I'm interested in to appear on my combined view.

<tl;dr> Multi-tagging is cool and useful, but too coarse grained in DWM.

--
Prof:    So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
	 encryption standard and they came up with ...