Re: [dev] sbase TODO patch

From: Anthony J. Bentley <anthonyjbentley_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:04:24 -0700

Paul Onyschuk writes:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:52:54 -0500
> Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in> wrote:
>

> > out of curiosity, can someone explaing the #ifndef/#if nightmare that
> > is occurring in this file?
> >

> RCS markers (RCSid) are wrapped inside #ifdef to avoid spitting out
> compiler warnings, when they aren't used. You can find RCS markers
> everywhere inside *BSD repositories (I can speak about OpenBSD and
> NetBSD source code I'm familiar with). If you don't plan to use them,
> you can remove them safely.

Most of them were stripped out of OpenBSD a couple years ago. The
commit message by deraadt:

"rcsid[] and sccsid[] and copyright[] are essentially unmaintained (and
unmaintainable). these days, people use source. these id's do not provide
any benefit, and do hurt the small install media
(the 33,000 line diff is essentially mechanical)"

--
Anthony J. Bentley