Re: [dev] stest review

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 15:19:00 +0100

Hello.

Rob wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 02:04:43PM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
>> Users will rather be irritated, if the commandline argument hand-
>> ling is different in every application. They then *have* to read
>> the sourcecode for finding out how arguments are handled.
>
> What Anselm is on about, is that it prevents the programmer from
> adding more and more flags, keeping the complexity low, not from
> having a different style for each application.

That is why we have manpages. They allow a clear description of
what is done and how options should be used.

You might have noticed, that the current style of argument hand-
ling in suckless applications involves huge if-else constructs
with strcmp(). In around eight lines of macro this can be avoided.
The resulting code will look like a simple switch() statement and
provide easy additional argument handling.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann