Re: [dev] Environment variables

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:37:35 -0000

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:09:44 -0000, Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
> Some of you might be more experienced in the old Unix ways and
> might know how in the good old days all the environment variables
> were standardized. What I am up to: There are these new stylish
> ways of running applications based on their file extensions or
> mime types, which is annoying and leads to many symlinks. Instead
> some environment variables do exist. But maybe history has evolved
> some other substandards than I know?

Bind mount or symlink. Do not construct pathnames from environment
variables.
mount -o bind /usr/bin/vim /bin/editor
In fact, the /etc/alternatives mess of Debian would be acceptable, if it
were not for the symlinks from /usr/bin to /etc/alternatives. They're
forced to do that, however, because of the way $PATH works.

In this regard, Plan 9 sucks less than Unix.
--
-,Bjartur