Re: [dev] Re: Adventures with static linking

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:07:28 +0100

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:30:05 +0100
Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> Last time I checked (6 months ago perhaps), it was not possible to
> build a full Xorg server without dynamic linking. Only TinyX works.
>
> The clients are no problem, they just get very fat.

Do you remember what was the issue (build or run time)? I've
everything beside xkeyboard-config compiled (XML::Parser perl module
missing, but I think that should be easy to fix). You can check
pkgsrc.se [1] for dependencies of Xorg meta-package (actually it is
meta-package that uses 5 other meta-packages).

As for xorg-server 1.6.5 itself (name of individual part provided by
X.org) it compiles with LDFLAGS+="-z muldefs", otherwise linker warns
about multiple definitions and fails.

[1] http://pkgsrc.se/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg