[dev] regarding surf and cookie handling

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:59:01 -0500

Hello,

This is my first post here, though I actively follow the developments
around here. I was reading the Project Ideas section on the website
and read about ideas for surf's cookie handling.

"The biggest disadvantage of surf is sloppy cookie handling. libwebkit
and libsoup (which are used for HTTP) were never designed to run in
multiple processes simultaneously."

I'm not sure why nobody has decided to use the documented way from Gtk
webkit. I think it isn't very sloppy (unless I am just the only
confused one here)

I have written my own tabbed browser called sb [1], it has cookie
handling built in very simple and the cookie file is a flat file
format. This is all done with libsoup.

The code required to do this is minimal, and in my code it took 2 lines [2]

w.jar = soup_cookie_jar_text_new(g_build_filename(g_get_home_dir(),
DEFAULT_COOKIE_FILE, NULL), FALSE);
soup_session_add_feature(w.session, SOUP_SESSION_FEATURE(w.jar));

When I do this I can use multiple processes to access and write to the
cookies. Logging out in one process will logout me from the website in
another process using the same site, once I reload the page.

I hope this makes sense!
Calvin Morrison

[1] https://github.com/mutantturkey/sb/
[2] https://github.com/mutantturkey/sb/blob/master/sb.c (line 342)