Re: [dev] regarding surf and cookie handling

From: Troels Henriksen <athas_AT_sigkill.dk>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:33:35 +0100

Peter Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> writes:

>> This is stil is favorable than the current approach as far as I can tell.
>
> Why?

Because in Surf as it is now, cookies are not readable from Javascript,
and an increasing number of sites rely on this being possible. The
naive approach used in sb is not by itself useful (as already mentioned
by Calvin Morrison), and I just haven't been motivated enough to do the
heavier glib programming necessary to do a proper integration. As I
remember my analysis, you can't use cookie-changed signal, though, as it
is not sent when the file changes, but rather when the cookie object
changes (and I think the file is automatically rewritten when that
happens anyway). Rather, I think we will need to create an object from
scratch that implements the cookie jar interface, but which uses the
current mechanism of completely re-reading the file whenever a cookie is
requested or given. (Nothing should prevent us from using inotify to
be a bit smarter, though.)

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen