[dev] Shared resource files

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:01:39 +0100

Greetings,

with svkbd I'm running into a dilemma. It really sucks to have to
compile svkdb with every keymap, which produces too many binaries
that are lying around. Compiling all the keymaps into svkbd is a
bit of a hassle, but would be possible, if the Make infrastructure
is written for it.

There are some ways defined to allow shared files in Unix systems,
which could be used, but I haven't seen any suckless project using
them. Two possibilities have to be considered: User-specific config-
uration and global configuration. Having too many configurable
locations increases filesystem load on startup, which isn't prefer-
able.

* $PREFIX/share/$project/files
* $HOME/.config/$project/files
* $HOME/.$project/files

We are already using $PREFIX/share/man.

What is the common stance on spreading shared files?

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann