Re: [dev] [dwm] systray in upstream dwm?

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:23:21 -0400

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 10:48:57AM -0400, Manolo Martínez wrote:

> (I don't use systrays, but still:) How so? If you have, say, six windows per
> tag quick access might be useful. One can have a use policy that avoids this,
> but such use policies are not enforced by a tiling interface.

If you need quick access to a specific window, you give it its own tag.
Or you tag all the windows you'd normally cram into a system tray. Then
you have the full power of the window manager to access them, instead of
having to mouse into some ridiculously tiny picture on the corner of the
screen. Tags are not workspaces. They can be dynamically assigned.

I suspect there are two reasons people use system tray garbage with dwm:
1) They are not using dwm properly. These are the sorts of people who
think pertag patches are a good idea.
2) They are using some piece of software designed with only that bad
workflow in mind, and don't realize they don't need one. Skype, for
instance, works fine without a system tray icon.