RE: [dev] [dwm] drop the bars (was: systray in upstream dwm?)

From: Jan Christoph Ebersbach <jceb_AT_e-jc.de>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:13:43 +0200

Hi, My case is not anymore to include the systray patch in dwm, don't get me wrong. I wonder how these kind of patches can be done in a better way. It's clear that including a systray in dwm is not a good idea but it is also not possible to work around the bar included in dwm. I want to see the mode my tag is in, the selected tags and the name of the current window. If there were a way to present this information to an external program, the bar wasn't necessary anymore. Xft and Systray would be implemented by a separate program and all the fruitless discussions about the visual stuff, would come to an end. Did anyone actually try to remove the bars (and keybindings) from dwm and define a simple IPC mechanism? Jan Christoph This message was sent using Zarafa WebApp.-----Original message----- From: Luis Anaya <papoanaya_AT_hotmail.com> Sent: Sat 07-Apr-2012 10:57 To: dev_AT_suckless.org Subject: RE: [dev] [dwm] drop the bars (was: systray in upstream dwm?) Hi: I see the case for a need of a systray, but there are tiling window managers that provide this facility. The "awesome" window manager does have systray capability fairly small footprint, something to consider.  Dwm is meant to be minimal and it is embedded in its design philosophy and being that many of the systray application do have a command line counterpart in most cases, there's really no rush to include this as a main feature IMHO. But if it can be cleanly patched, it can be included in the patches section.