Re: [dev] [dwm] X autologin and startup applications

From: Benjamin R. Haskell <suckless_AT_benizi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 00:18:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

> On Sun, 6 May 2012 22:49:17 -0700 Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> hash surf && surf http://localhost/
>
> [...]
>
> hash is a shell feature. bash and others cache the path - all the
> names - and sometimes when you've installed something since starting
> the shell, the shell won't find it. I think it only happens when
> you've removed it from one $PATH dir and installed it to another, in
> bash at least. Using hash in a just-started shell like the one running
> .xinintrc is pointless. :)

`hash [cmd-name]` is an idiom to determine whether a command exists in
$PATH. I've been seeing it a lot recently as `hash [cmd-name] 2>&-` to
suppress the errors when the cmd's not found. On my current system with
only a few shells, the idiom works in bash, sh (symlink to bash), and
zsh, but not in ksh (nor in csh ... but whocares):

bash$ hash dwm ; echo $?
0
bash$ hash nonexistent ; echo $?
bash: hash: nonexistent: not found