Sta.li critical performance question (WAS [dev] obase - Sta.li moving forward?)

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:33:33 +0100

On the linked page, Johan Petersson wrote:

> It turns out, though, that system calls invoked via interrupts are
> remarkably slow on the more recent members of the x86 processor
> family. An int 0x80 system call can be as much as an order of
> magnitude slower on a 2 GHz Pentium 4 than on an 850 MHz Pentium III.

Will linux-vdso or linux-gate be properly used by a statically linked
binary? Does it perhaps require /lib/ld-linux.so to link it in?

I ask because I have some reason to believe syscall performance is
important if you want to work in the unix way, and doubly so if you
want a suckless system. Petersson here describes an order of magnitude
difference in syscall performance. I'm not sure of my conclusion but
it's something to keep an eye on, perhaps timing the piping of data in
both static and conventional Linux systems on the same hardware.