Re: [dev] Starting surf automatically after webserver has started

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:30:06 +0200

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Amit Uttamchandani
<amit.uttamchandani_AT_my.csun.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to have surf start up when the webserver on the system has
> started up.
>
> Right now, surf starts up but the webserver starts up after surf. Thus,
> when surf loads there is a 404 not found error. A manual refresh has to
> be performed.
>
> I played around with init.d in debian but not sure what the proper way
> is. Adding a delay seems to be a hack. Is there a way to "signal" surf
> to start?

Yes. You have to declare to your init that surf depends on httpd.
Consult the documentation for your init or consider installing a
simpler init to start services in the correct order.

FYI, I have no idea where the current best practices for writing
service description files in init.d on Debian systems, but I do think
you are supposed to put httpd in one or two of the LSB headers in
/etc/init.d/surf; one to declare that surf is to start after httpd,
and optionally one to declare if surf is to stop before httpd.