Re: [dev] [st] New patches

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:34:18 +0200

Hello.

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:34:18 +0200 Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero
> <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
> > Main use of this feature (actually) is only helping to debug. When you are
> > debugging escape sequences is very useful have the ascii sequence that some
> > program writes to the terminal. I don't know if you can get it with expect.
>
> If the only use is to debug it shouldn't be exposed to users and it's
> doesn't need to be fast. Besides there's already a dump() function you
> can modify/use.
> There is also this great tool called teseq [1] to debug escape
> sequences, I don't know if you've heard of it. Really handy.
>
> 1: https://www.gnu.org/software/teseq/

As said earlier in this discussion: dup2() does not work in this case.
The ‐f switch allows easy recording of st sessions and so is useful to
the users.

I didn’t know of teseq before, but it seems nice if some strange se‐
quence appears again. Now I learned to read the escape sequences in cat
‐v.

Sincerely,

Christoph