Re: [dev] I'm back

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:04:31 -0500

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 07:00:23AM +0100, Jens Staal wrote:
> For me, this is a nicer solution than for example pacman to keep track on
> which files that belong to which package (no fragile databases needed). I am
> also happy to report that dmenu/dwm works nicely on Sabotage (however, it
> seems like some of the xlibs can not be linked statically).

Slackware does this without crapping up the disk: the manifest is in the
file /var/log/packages/packagename. If you need to know where a file
came from, just grep the path in that directory.

> What I have noticed lately is however how much of the broken stuff that are
> expected to build also relatively fundamental technologies. For example, mesa
> (which is needed if one ever wants to run wayland instead of X) expects
> libudev to build, and if the version requirements will increase further that
> will basically force systemd on peopole.

When I discovered wayland required mesa, I cited it as the biggest
problem wayland had. Now it has other problems, but mesa still really
sucks. Not only does it depend on libudev, it has a build-time dep on
libxml2 (unsure if that is also runtime). How does it run on FreeBSD?
I know it still pulls in XML crap, but surely they're not building a
dummy udev in the linux emulation layer?

> I am starting to think of this as the Fragile X syndrome, which usually refers
> to a genetic disease causing mental retardation (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragile_X_syndrome ). I am starting to feel that
> Linux is having a serious case of its digital variant.

I love this. Fragile X11 Syndrome. The only difference is it's caused
*by* mental retardation.