Re: [dev] Minimal distributions

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 10:18:03 +0000

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 13:50:04 +0100
Hugues Moretto-Viry <hugues.moretto_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for these many interesting comments.
> I was looking for a secondary distributions for desktop usage. And I will
> try FreeBSD soon.
>
> Regards.

minimal or desktop... i could almost say 'pick one'. the catch is 'desktop' is a really broad church; for me it means a web browser, eagle mode, wine, a media player or two, as well as 9vx or drawterm. many others wouldn't want wine but would want a more mainstream filing manager which then requires file associations and other sophistications and before long you end up with a full gnome or kde. define what 'desktop' means to you and you can better pick your system.

if in fact you do want a conventional filing manager then you may be happy with puppy linux. there are many different 'puppies' based on different linux distributions which allows you to pick many of your requirements by distro while knowing it will be pared down to a minimum and paired with a very lightweight desktop... if that makes sense.

--
Developing the austere intellectual discipline of keeping things
sufficiently simple is in this environment a formidable challenge,