Re: [dev] [surf] [patch] Don't load favicon.ico

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:21:57 +0000

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 07:58:19AM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> I can’t apply this patch. It’s living on the assumption that favicons
> will end in »favicon.ico«. Really blocking the favicon would require
> to use the situation of webkit, where it really does that blind request
> for the favicon.ico. Your solution will block every URI ending in
> »favicon.ico«.

Well webkit is making the assumption that there may be a
favicon.ico, and requesting it. Future versions may think better of
this, but for now they aren't, and I think overriding this
particularly stupid behaviour is fine.

Not being able to access any url ending in 'favicon.ico' is I think
an acceptable tradeoff for this.

None of this should be meant to downplay the disgust that relying on
webkit induces, incidentally. The fact that we can't fix this
properly, because of the grotesque library, with its arbitrary ideas
of what should and should not be changable (hint: whatever makes
most sense for the largest, most uninteresting web browsers).

I don't have particularly strong feelings about this, but I think
such a hack is probably the right thing to do.

Nick