Re: [dev] snotes v0.9 - a simple notes system

From: Sam Watkins <sam_AT_nipl.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:08:07 +1100

Apparently the BSD way to specify editor ($EDITOR / $VISUAL / mailcap)
sucks pretty bad. I reckon mailcap is basically a good idea, but doesn't
work very well, and could use some occam's razor. I hazard to guess
that the freedesktop people have reimplemented it rather than fixed it :/

Anyway, as it is I'd say a user ~/.mailcap combined with edit(1)
would be a better way to set a custom editor than $EDITOR,
in a GUI environment. You can't go launching xterms in $EDITOR.

But you'd better set a handler for application/octet-stream,
as it's too stupid to guess if something is a text file :/
Need to get together with the file(1) people.

Sam