Re: [dev] [st] New feature idea

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 10:55:29 +0200

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 03:05:09PM -0400, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> On 29 March 2013 14:54, Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> While I find many of those features useless, some of them are plain
> >> cool, and are innovative. Why are we stuck with a text terminal when
> >> we aren't using a tty most of the time? Sure simple text modes should
> >> always be supported but additional features are cool. I'd love to be
> >> able do an easy ls and be able to see my picture previews, why not?
> >> It' s not terribly complicated and it sure is useful.
> >

> > I also like the idea of not having a pure-text interaction with the
> > computer, but Terminology is definitely pushing things too far. It's
> > hard to have a good middle ground.
> >
> > Alternatively, you could set up plumber and have your terminal be as
> > smart as acme: left-click on a .jpg/png/gif/whatever opens an image
> > viewer. It separates the two concept (ls and preview) and is dead
> > simple. Bonus points: because the two concepts are separate, you can
> > have the plumbing rules independent of your terminal so you can set up
> > different dispatching easily.
>
> I'm actually really liking my idea I suggested earlier, having some
> time to think about it.
>
> It's an awesome idea in fact.
> [...]
> Images are very useful for humans, but GUI's are not, I want an
> amalgam of images and text
> on my terminal

Sorry to revive this older discussion but I finally found that one graphical
shell implemented in Webkit that your idea reminded me of. I thought you
might be interested in reading about it (if you haven't already).

http://acko.net/blog/on-termkit/

Having one program decode all these formats does not seem very Unixy though.

Cheers,

Silvan