Re: [dev] Call for pkgsrc users

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:59:23 -0400

On 10 April 2013 16:45, Alex Pilon <alp_AT_engsoc.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 01:13:51PM -0500, William Giokas wrote:
>> […] you can actually disable almost every feature in systemd with
>> configure flags.
>
> * You can't disable DBus.
>
> Sure, sure, a lot of the rest of the world out there uses DBus. I
> don't unless I have to. It's not just accommodating DBus.
>
> I don't want DBus on my server. I do not want DBus on my tiny router.
>
> * It uses autoconf.
>
> Sucks. I don't even need the following article to notice how bad it
> is. I hope nobody here needs it either.
>
> http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2349257
>
> It's slow, a mess, not easily hackable, and a workaround rather than a
> fix to the actual problem, not that I'd expect the problem to be
> fixable anyway. Too many of us still running original Unices, Solaris,
> HP UX, etc.
>
> GNU shit. So commonly used by some of us that the colloquial compound
> "gnushit" was born. A lot of GNU software is infectuous, a disease,
> and I am not talking about licensing, just technical merits.
>
> Sure systemd has *some* nice ideas, so did SysV. I like neither. I'm not
> a systemd hater. Hate the problem, not the symptoms. Systemd is just
> more noise at this point.

What is the problem though? for me initialization should be
ridiculously simple. init should call a simple script, that script
contains the daemons you want to run, or anything else you want to do
during boot, including starting networking, login prompts and stuff.

Why isn't it as simple as my xinitrc?

Calvin