Re: [dev] [st] windows port?

From: Alexander Sedov <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 03:08:12 +0400

Oh, look, how nice, religious wars at dev_AT_suckless, and my favourite
"argument" about Windows being crappy operating system with absolutely
no justification. Religious people never justify their views, I guess.
About the "lock-in": drivers may be the case, but applications can not
be "lock-in". If somebody goes and creates amazingly beautiful
operating system called, for example, Plot C right now, incompatible
with either Linux drivers (which KolibriOS for example is compatible
with), Windows drivers, and every app out there in the world because
it doesn't conform to outdated standards nor does it attempts to
provide compatibility, and then he'll cry about how all users are
locked in and nobody uses his beauty, I'll call him stupid. It's not
"lock-in", it's he hasn't attempted to make his OS usable.
Same thing applies, with two orders of magnitude lower, to Linux. Go
open your package manager or open Github if you don't have one, and
look what's there. Mostly some arcane shit, as fruitless as a
proverbial fig tree, some clones of Windows apps, clones of clones of
Windows apps, attempts to rewrite and revise libraries, magically make
less buggy changing an API, and so on.
We have so many music players, each better and slicker that others,
but still unusable as hell. We have buggy applications written in GTK+
that crash depending on moon phase. We have I don't know how many
libraries for data serialization and datetime handling and whatnot,
and I'd bet fifty bucks that almost all of them started "this
bloatware sucks, let's come with something simple and funny to write".
All that unbearable crap actually helps greatly. If you do not give up
trying to make all that shit actually kind of work, because their
developers thought only about fun and elegance, not usability, you
learn a lot of new things, and that's very cool. But it's not for
normal people, no. It's either for masochists or elitists.