Re: [dev] [st] windows port?

From: Noah Birnel <nbirnel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:56:10 -0700

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:59:46AM -0400, Max DeLiso wrote:
> A) That's stupid

Misguided instead? Very few people who would appreciate a simple
terminal are likely to be using Windows. (I'm one of them.) I doubt
you'll get many competent coders to contribute. (I'm not one of
them.) And it's such a punishing environment that I don't know how
satisfying it will be to say: "Well, at least my terminal is
adequate!"

cygwin + bug.n + an xmouse simulator (or inferno or Acme SAC, if
you're into that sort of thing) is about as sane as it gets now on
Windows. They are adequate, if your job (like mine) requires this
stinky OS. I'd rather see good programmers working on *nix or
cross-platform programs than spending time on the endless time-suck
that is trying to clean up MS's mess.

BTW, st compiles and runs under Cygwin / X, both in the cygwin
multiwindow X and with a real WM like dwm.

> My aim is to create a minimalist terminal emulator for windows. I want a
> project whose relationship to the cmd/conhost/csrss triad is analogous to
> the relationship between st and xterm/x.

? This doesn't make much sense to me.
wvt is to cmd as st is to xterm?
(term to shell as term to term?)

That all said, I'll give it a try. But...

> https://github.com/maxdeliso/wvt

How do you compile this?

$ make -f makefile.win32 release
make: *** No rule to make target `Release\wvt.obj' , needed by `wvt.exe'. Stop.