[dev] [st] wide characters

From: Random832 <random832_AT_fastmail.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:17:05 -0400

I don't mean as in wchar_t, I mean as in characters (generally in East
Asian languages) that are meant to take up two character cells.

I am forced to ask, though, why character cell values are stored in
utf-8 rather than as wchar_t (or as an explicitly unicode int) in the
first place, particularly since the simplest way to detect a wide
character is to call the function wcwidth. What was the reason for this
design decision? It doesn't save any space, since on most systems
UTF_SIZ == sizeof(int) == sizeof(wchar_t).

And I don't know the st codebase well enough (or at all, really) to tell
at a glance what would have to be changed to be able to support a
double-width character cell, or to support wrapping to the next line if
one is output at the second-to-last column.