Re: [dev] [st] Need help implementing combining characters

From: Alexander Sedov <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:16:42 +0400

2013/4/22 Alexander Sedov <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>:
> URxvt uses another approach that can be summarized as "do Xft
> work" (by looking throughout URxvt code base, one understands that
> they are really tired of this shit; transparency support in Xft, for
> example, is yet another wonder, and we're lucky we ain't touching it).
> They create buffer for XftGlyphSpec and then proceed manually getting
> extents for each character and forcing it into appropriate,
> hand-calculated coordinates. This seems to work.
Looks like I lied. What they do is drawing all combined runes on top
of each other, first with fg, bg and others with fg, Color_none. They
also replace combined rune pair with one rune from PRIVATE_USE when
writing text to a terminal and then expanding it elsewhere, but that's
irrelevant. So, the only solution I see here is write a specific
function for drawing one combined character sequence and always break
normal drawing on them. May be slow, but at least it will work.
Fuck you, Xft.

--
Best regards, Alexander Sedov.