Re: [dev] [st] double-width usage

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:02:45 +0200

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:07:14AM +0200, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> Which applications do you use that handle double-width as you expect them?

I use mutt and vim which handle double-width characters the way I expect
them to (using urxvt or lxterm).

> Do these applications use the double-width for the layout?

Yes, I think they do.

> Any Chinese or Japanese user?

I use Japanese regularly (Japanese Studies major; I am not Japanese
though). Writing Japanese in Vim is not as easy as I would like it to
be so I usually go for a non-modal editor for that use case.

> If double-width characters would be drawn to fit the standard cell size of the
> terminal (drawing them in half the font size) would this suffice your need?

I think the characters would be squished to an unreadable degree, but I
think I have never seen it done in practice.

> This question implies that it is possible to simply increase the
> average fontsize so the complex glyphs look good. Would this suffice
> your need?

That would entail that everyone uses a certain (bigger) minimal font
size if they want to be able to read width characters, no?

Thank you for looking at this! I tried to hack wide-character support
into st myself because when that is done, I will use it as my only terminal
emulator.

Cheers,

Silvan