Re: [dev] st: Large pile of code

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:58:17 +0200

Greetings.

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:58:17 +0200 Carlos Torres <vlaadbrain_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Alexander Sedov <alex0player_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Code should look compact to keep people from adding bloat. Multiple
> > files by themselves add nothing to understanding, other than need to
> > constantly switch contexts when one file's function is called from
> > other file's.
> >
> I think you should define what "switch contexts" means to you. to me
> its clear that terminal emulation is one context and terminal
> rendering is another, and having it all mangled together does not make
> it one context (unless your context is less concrete and refers to
> terminals in general) and forces more context switching than sorting
> it out into two different buckets (files w/e) in fact because its
> separated i would argue that its easier to "see the forest from the
> trees" and prevent bloat.

Really, I am not planning to extend st to much more. The problem why st
isn’t finished is the graphical stack of Linux, which sucks at printing
UTF‐8 strings in monospace fonts. Now all of this has to be emulated.

When double‐width and proper diacritics work st will be considered sta‐
ble and a true terminal emulator. Then this is set into stone and my in‐
terest is focused to different projects, like to get my mail client
ready for release.

For the file split: No. There is not much code addition added. Senseless
idiocracy like spreading the terminal paradigm more widely won’t help
here. St is the widget and st is the emulator you can embed everywhere
using xembed. For a Wayland port you will need to modify huge chunks of
code anways. A term.c won’t help you there much.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann