Re: [dev] Re: coreutils / moreutils - DC a directory counter

From: Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:13:43 +0200

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 6:39 AM, Paul Hoffman <nkuitse_AT_nkuitse.com> wrote:

> I just read something about using LD_PRELOAD for this. Write a library
> that implements open(2), munging the file path and then calling the
> "real" open(2). Then you just set LD_PRELOAD in the environment of the
> scripts and Bob's your uncle.

Nice how I find this idea again here, after the BEAUTIFUL day when
systemd munged my /tmp path, leaving me puzzled about what the hell
was going on... rage.
Otoh, the munging could work, unless the hashed filesystem would
overflow PATH_MAX. Measured on the amount of sanity in the system
which OP announced, this could be solved by injecting slashes into the
filename.

cheers!
mar77i