Re: [dev] surf-0.6-searchengine

From: Chris Down <chris_AT_chrisdown.name>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 21:35:08 +0200

On 2013-08-06 21:27, Truls Becken wrote:
> The advantage of the approach on the wiki is that you can have multiple
> search engines configured, or really, URL shortcuts with optional string
> substitution. Firefox has the same thing.

I, for one, only really use one search engine, but I agree that this method is
inflexible in that way (although that's fairly implicit in the method).

> Also, there is no heuristic, which means it sucks less.

I agree that heuristic detection of search times vs. URI schemas sucks pretty
bad, but if it could hit a good success rate (which is probably does), it's not
that bad, as long as it's only an optional patch and not in the codebase.

The way I always get around this search vs. URI schema dilemma for URLs in
my DNS search domain is by appending a slash to the end, which at least makes
Chromium behave as expected.