Re: [dev][st][RFC] Removing the -o option

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 21:01:26 +0200

Greetings.

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 21:01:26 +0200 "Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
> > I feel like this functionality could be removed from st in favor of
> > "script" even though it would only remove a few lines of code at
> > best. What is this lists opinion on this matter?
>
> Well, I added this functionality when I began to colaborate in st, and
> it was very useful for me and Christoph because you could see the
> sequences a program was wnitten inmediatly with something like:
>
> st -o - | cat -v -u (cat -v harmful, use better vis ;)).

That’s what it’s for and that’s how it should be.

> So, I think that althouh it was very useful and it takes only
> a few of lines, it is not necessary now, and complicates the
> manual page adding a option that usual users is not going to
> need.
>
> So I vote positive to this change (the hack is so easy that
> I am pretty sure if we remove it, we will always can revert
> the commit easily).

No, stop that road. Suckless is not about end users. Always keep the
features to easily debug applications. ‐o is necessary. Otherwise you
have a *dependency* on script to debug st. If such a dependency is kept
away by just having some lines of code, then it’s worth it.

Absolutely no to remove this feature and I will push the feature into st
at all cost.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann