Re: [dev] music db editor

From: Manolo Martínez <manolo_AT_austrohungaro.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:12:50 +0200

On 10/15/13 at 05:10pm, Martti Kühne wrote:
> 3.: I don't have any need to collect metadata about my music I run off mpd, and

That's probably because you don't use portable media players. Most of
those are much better at displaying metadata trees than at letting you
navigate directory structure.

> if I had the need, I could build symlink trees from my already sane directory
> structure:
>
> music/A/Artist/Album/trackname.flac
>
> That way I could add whatever metadata I could think of on any point in the
> tree - and in actual filesystem metadata, since, that's where metadata goes,
> right? As an example, I could list albums by different artists in a "weird"
> directory and link all the weird music there, residents, die antwoord, etc.
>
> I myself have a lot of unknown artist id3v2 tags and broken encodings in that
> data, but I don't much need to give one, since I know where to find my stuff...

The question is whether your media player will know, too. Anyway, my
point is: tag editors and the like target a use case that is,
apparently, not yours.

Manolo