[dev] [st] XOpenIM failed

From: Strake <strake888_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 22:56:24 -0500

I am trying to use st, but it fails with the message "XOpenIM failed.
Could not open input device."

I checked the XOpenIM man page, which said that it opens an input
method, so I checked the man page, the X11 header files, the Arch
Linux package repos, and Google hits for "XIM", "X Input Method", and
"XOpenIM failed" but couldn't find what the hell an input method is or
how to actually get or make one. I found the Wikipedia page and the X
Consortium Input Method Protocol spec, but the former is a stub and
the latter is noisy and seems inessential to my case.

I checked the libX11 source, which defines structs _XIM and _XIC, but
they are not defined in a public header and thus opaque to users.

I added some marker syscalls before and after XOpenIM and straced it,
and it tries to open /usr/share/X11/locale.(alias dir) many times
before final failure, so I copied them and the C directory over from
stock Arch Linux, in vain.

I am on Starch Linux, kernel 3.10.7, xorg-server 1.14.2 kdrive Xfbdev,
on a Dell Latitude E4300.

What must I do to use st?