Re: [dev] Some thoughts about XML

From: Alexander S. <alex0player_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 04:25:52 +0400

2013/10/18 Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>:
> Szymon Olewniczak said:
>> Another advantage of XML is its adaptation. We've already have MathML,
>> SVG and many many others[1] all build on top of XML.
>
> SVG and MathML are probably the best arguments against XML ever. I am yet to
> see two SVG libraries that would render sufficiently complex spec-complient
> SVG equally. And I have no hope for seeing any spec-complient SVG rendering
> library ever.
>
> MathML is yet worse. To save words: http://aiju.de/rant/XML/MathML

I'd not agree that SVG render problems are due to XML parsing. I think
it's just that anything that attempts to draw SVG according to a spec
must be *very* capable, with all those filters and transforms and
animations and ecmascripts. It might as well be a TeX extension, and
we would have the same (actually, probably even more) problems.