Re: [dev] Some thoughts about XML

From: Samuel Holland <samuel_AT_sholland.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 06:39:43 -0500

Chris Down <chris_AT_chrisdown.name> wrote:
>On 2013-10-24 01:04, Samuel Holland wrote:
>> [body]
>> content="%ol%%p%"
>> [ol]
>> style="list-style-type: decimal"
>> content="%li.1%%li.2%%li.3"
>> [li]
>> style="display: list-item"
>> content1="Lack of proper hierarchy, for one;"
>> content2="Lack of proper heterogeneous containers, for two;"
>> content3="%b%:\nlack of multiline strings."
>> [b]
>> style="font-weight: bold"
>> content="The most important one"
>> [p]
>> style="display: block"
>> content="Try to express something as simple as %i% (which is\nrather
>trivial HTML snippet) in .ini format."
>> [i]
>> style="font-style: italic"
>> content="my answer"
>
>I'm hoping this is devil's advocate, this is the worst thing I've ever
>seen.

Yes, it was. The variable substitution is entirely made up, but what's worse is that almost every line of the Wikipedia page starts with "some implementations..."

What I have been giving thought to is a representation using JSON, where each element is an array. The first member is a CSS selector, and subsequent members are strings and more arrays. That way you keep ordering and small size, yet can still mix text and elements.