Re: [dev] suckless shell prompt?

From: Chris Down <chris_AT_chrisdown.name>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:27:14 -0500

On 2013-11-25 14:16:48 +0200, Dimitris Zervas wrote:
> Well, making our own shell, would be a really good idea!

In my opinion others already got close enough for us not to worry (rc,
mksh, undoubtedly others). We had some discussion about whether we would
have a shell included with sbase, but I think the consensus (or at
least, what David said) was that we weren't going to use one in the end.

My only concern is that there probably has to be some balance between
POSuX and having a usable environment, which is a pretty delicate
balance to strike (see: crazy ass bash nonsense where `readonly' and
`declare -r' don't have the same scoping).

Although maybe we don't have to care about POSIX any more as long as
we're not /bin/sh, who knows. I know a few people who are happily using
fish (which sucks), but at least it shows that people don't necessarily
care about POSIX semantics in their shell.