Re: [dev][announce] slm - music curation

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:18:20 -0800

On Thu 28 Nov 2013 at 09:51:34 PST Markus Teich wrote:
>Roberto E. Vargas Caballero wrote:
>> Offer one of them as default option, but I think it should have the
>> runtime option to select one or other.
>
>Why does it have to be a runtime option? I don't think anyone wants to use both
>symlinks and hardlinks on one system? Who has more than one music collection and
>wants to manage them differently? I think a compile time option in config.h
>would suffice just fine.
>
>As I posted earlier, I would favor the hardlinks as default.

So would I.

Since it will be composed entirely of links, be they hard or symbolic,
the farm/db isn't going to take up much additional space on whatever
filesystem it's located on. Especially not compared to the music files
themselves. So in most cases there's no reason it needs to be on a
different one.

But if the user does wish to have the farm on a different filesystem
than the music files, for example if the music files are on readonly
filesystem, the program should automatically use symlinks.

Or does that complicate things too much and introduce suckiness?