Re: [dev] Stali

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:13:09 +0100

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:39:21 +0100
Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu> wrote:

Hey Martin,

it's been a pleasure to help you out with your talk and I'm glad to see
you could use my keypoints while preparing it!

> But since this is article and I have so much more space and since Stali
> advanced in the meantime, I guess new things should be considered to be
> mentioned.

That's definitely true. One thing I myself didn't really think about is
the way we will include the musl-libc[1] into the build-process.
I already talked about the advantages of static linking in my previous
post[2], but you could especially also include a paragraph on musl and
what makes it different from other stdlibs.
Static linking to the glibc is not very smart, as it's a beast, but
doing so with a suckless libc like musl is a whole different story.
Discussing this in the article will definitely make it much more
differentiated and clearer for the reader.

I'm currently working out the concepts of a build-system for stali and
studied the way sabotage-linux[3] does it with its butch build-system.
Apart from the busybox-madness and the non-existent sandboxing of the
build-system, it comes pretty close to what we want to achieve with
stali. I wouldn't claim it to be a reference without asking everyone
else if he personally agrees.
But I would claim it to be a system to try out to get the idea what
it's all about.

Given you have more time in the article, why not talk about my
favourite Linux-distribution, namely Ubuntu?
It's a prime example for a system requiring constant maintenance due to
its bloatedness. It may be stable as long as you stay on the predefined
paths, but as soon as you leave them, you're faced with insolvable
problems previously glossed over with dirty hacks.

We want to create a system you can do anything with, which allows you
to work on integral components, fine-tune settings, remove shit you
don't need and set up stuff by yourself.
It should be intuitional for the experienced user, but also relatively
easy to learn and understand for the inexperienced without requiring to
learn hundreds of proprietary interfaces.

Maybe some more things will come to my mind in the course of the day.
I'll let you know and am very glad to know there are guys like you who
spread the message!

Cheers

FRIGN

[1]: http://musl-libc.org/