Re: swc library to implement dwm under Wayland (was Re: [dev] gtk3 support for surf?)

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:53:34 +0100

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:11:20 +0000
Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org> wrote:

Hey Michael,

thanks for your response!
I'm glad to get some remarks from a real Wayland-expert (I'm far from
that) and be able to have more insight into the topic.

> Sure, many compositors will use EGL, but that doesn't make it a
> requirement.
> (...)
> Additionally, software rendering using pixman will work for nearly all
> systems, and is fast enough from my experience.

It's a surprise to me, as I really thought Wayland was "built" on EGL.
Thanks for clearing that up!

> I agree that Mesa should not be a hard requirement for a functioning
> window system. However, it makes sense to utilize it if it is available
> on the system.

As I said, Mesa 3d is perfectly fine considering where the
Linux-desktop is heading to. I concur.

> In swc, I just draw borders for all windows. The window manager can
> specify a border width and color for each window, just like in X. My st
> and dmenu ports do nothing in terms of borders/window decorations (same
> as they currently work in X).
> Now, as far as other applications go, Gtk+ currently draws these massive
> decorations around everything when running under Wayland. Given that the
> Qt/KDE guys want to use server-side decorations, I'm sure that there
> will be some setting you can disable to get rid of the borders (maybe
> there already is, I haven't looked into it).
> I'm in agreement that Weston is not the way to go. I think it would be
> quite difficult to add server-side borders to the existing Weston
> code-base, and would almost certainly not be accepted upstream.

If that's just a matter of implementation, this isn't really a problem.

> I don't think it is so important to make a decision as much as to be
> aware of all the possibilities.
> Also, while I'm happy that swc is getting attention, it is perhaps
> happening just a little too early; don't expect to be able to try it out
> right now, I have a lot of changes pending in my working tree which I
> hope to get committed over the next few days. Additionally, there are a
> couple of final things I need to finish up (mainly VT switching).

Do the work you think is necessary for a well-polished product. Wayland won't run away and X is not dead-on-arrival. In the long run, X won't leave us in the next few years, thus, seeing such mature project like yours makes me feel happy inside ;).

Cheers and happy hacking!

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>