[dev] [RFC] sbase/ubase automated testing

From: sin <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:51:04 +0000

Hi all,

I'd like your feedback on what we can do to automate testing of
sbase/ubase (or whether we should in fact do it at all).

I am not sure we really want this and the fact that sbase/ubase
is comprised of many little tools with little state shared between
the translation units we might as well argue that if a test passes
it will continue to pass as long as someone does not touch that
particular tool or the small library we have in util/.

In particular I've discovered a lot of bugs in sbase simply by trying
to use it as part of the init scripts in my toy distro. Similarly,
I've found bugs by adding sbase to the PATH and using it in place of
any other tools on my system.

So the question is, do you think we should do any sort of automated
testing, like a simple tests/ dir with shell scripts for each tool,
returning 0 on success 1 on failure and then just iterating over those?

I am leaning towards a no here, but I'd like to ask for your opinion
as well.

bye,
sin